Monday, May 2, 2011

Nervous Conditions

In the story Nervous Conditions there were four major characters.  However on in particular stood out to me.  Nyasha was a very interesting character in the novel.  She was highly intelligent, and passionate.  Nyasha is not your ordinary girl at any means. When she life throws her curves she knows how to learn from and grow from the experience she never allows life to bring her down.  Nyasha is a strong women in the novel however at one moment of her life she allowed life to take a turn for the worst.  She struggles with feeling isolated and being lonely because no one likes her at her mission school.  However because of this major change in her life she starts to have health problems. The character Nyasha stood out to me so greatly because I can relate to the character Nyasha once upon a time. There was a moment in my life where I felt isolated from all the students at my old school.  I had moved away and started a new school and like some people I don't take kindly to change.  I went into a great depression, because I didn't have any friends and everyone would seem mean because I was the "new student." Or the students felt as though I wasn't popular enough to hang out with them.  This is the same way Nyasha felt.  She felt like she wasn't as popular as the other kids at the mission school.  Even though Nyasha demonstrated some one that felt isolated but she also demonstrates some one that is strong that can life at its worst. 

1 comment:

  1. You describe Nyasha's situation very clearly. It does seem that her isolation lead her to such a bad situation, even though she was such a strong person. I think you make a good point that change is very difficult and can create great mental hardship. Imagine how much general suffering is caused by the huge changes of colonization and modernization.

    ReplyDelete