Friday, April 1, 2011

The Stranglehold of English Lit.

Response on The Stranglehold of English Lit; By: Felix Mnthali

"The Stranglehold of English Lit" was very hard for me to understand at first. I didn't quite understand what the author was trying to get across,  however as I kept reading piece by piece started to make sense. Felix Mnthali stated "would Europe in Africa" (line 12) in other words can Europe be in Africa? However Felix would probably respond "No"! Europe and Africa can't be because the two countries don't share the same culture, beliefs, language , nor religion.  Felix Mnthali continues on to express his frustration expressing that the English language cannot be tied into the African language.

I believe that the title of this poem specifically the word "Stranglehold" speaks for itself and evinces of what the author is trying to get across. I would have to agree with the author. The African language should be taught by someone that is of the African culture and someone that enunciates the African language well. In reasoning people of the African culture can relate to the language and understand the language I think that is where Felix frustration comes from, because he feels in my opinion nobody can teach your own language better than someone of that language or culture.  In my opinion Felix believe that someone of the English language should not try to teach the African language. 

I would have to say I didn't really enjoy reading the poem. It really didn't interest me however I do believe that the author did have good valid points throughout the poem, but just didn't grasp my attention.  I couldn't really relate to the poem but agreed upon what the author was saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment